St Kilda have targeted former player turned Port Adelaide list boss Jason Cripps for a crucial off-field role as the fallout from their post-season review continues.
The Saints stunned the AFL last week when senior coach Brett Ratten was sacked just months after signing a two-year contract extension.
Ross Lyon has emerged as a frontrunner to return to the post he sensationally quit at the end of 2011 when he left for Fremantle.
Analysis, local footy and the biggest moments, Seven and 7plus are the home of footy shows for every fan. Stream them all for free on 7plus >>
While St Kilda’s search for their next coach rolls on, 7NEWS Melbourne’s Mitch Cleary has revealed officials have already reached out to Cripps.
The exact role earmarked for the 46-year-old within the Saints’ recruiting team is unclear, but the bid is seen as a long shot.
It is not the first time Cripps, who moved from coaching to list management in 2012, has been sought out by his former club.
He reportedly rejected a return to St Kilda in 2017 when he was a candidate for a senior role in the football department.
Cripps played 60 games for the Saints in a career blighted by a serious hamstring injury that robbed him of three full years at his peak.
St Kilda’s play for the Port Adelaide list boss, who secured North Melbourne’s No.1 pick Jason Horne-Francis and West Coast premiership player Junior Rioli in the trade period, comes as Saints counterpart James Gallagher considers what his future looks like.
The former Crows player is weighing up whether he could stay in the position while living in Adelaide and commuting back and forth to Melbourne.
Gallagher and the Saints’ recruiting team struck out during a quiet trade period after missing out on big fish Jordan De Goey when he re-signed with Collingwood.
St Kilda are yet to reveal the extent of their off-field plans following the internal review led by president Andrew Bassat, who has promised to release the findings this week.
Ex-Collingwood administrator Geoff Walsh has already been appointed to head up the football department and will officially start on November 1.
Bassat and Saints chief executive Simon Lethlean have been adamant Walsh, who made waves this month when he declared there was a “degree of irrelevance” about the club, had no role in Ratten’s sacking.
The club’s decision to sack Ratten arrived in Lethlean’s first weeks as chief executive following his rise from football boss to chief operating officer to the top job.
“The responsibility for this decision sits with me, there’s no doubt … I will own this decision,” he said.
Lethlean has said the club’s review “uncovered what we need” in their next senior coach while Bassat said they are seeking a “different style of leadership and a different voice” to Ratten.