Joe Joyce has called for a fight with Anthony Joshua on December 17th if his planned bout against Tyson Fury falls through. The pair’s respective camps have been locked in talks over a blockbuster heavyweight clash in December, but negotiations appear to have stalled.
As a result Joyce, who knocked out Joseph Parker last week to become WBO interim heavyweight champion, has issued a challenge to AJ. His triumphant victory has opened up a host of possibilities and he is targeting another blockbuster bout.
The Juggernaut said a potential fight with Fury on December 3 would be “tight for me” and is instead now eyeing a clash with Joshua on December 17, urging promoter Eddie Hearn to get in touch with Frank Warren and make the fight happen.
“If Fury and AJ aren’t fighting then I’ll step in,” Joyce tweeted. “December 3rd is tight for me @Tyson_Fury, but @EddieHearn you can give your new best mate @frankwarren_tv a call and I’ll take the 17th slot with AJ. Easy fight to make!”
“You’re never going to have to worry about that, my beloved friends over there [in the U.K.], because Joshua would never get in the ring with him.
“That’s not a knock on him [Joshua], he’s a smart guy. Joshua knows his limitations now, so he ain’t getting in there with Joyce.”
Should Joshua v Joyce become a reality then Fury could meet Andy Ruiz Jr on December 3 instead. Ruz Jr said: “it would be an amazing fight for boxing” after he was named by Fury’s dad John. The American famously soppted Joshua in the pair’s first meeting in June 2019 before losing the rematch later that year.